Can you imagine not having to withdraw your cat’s bowel movements anymore? It will be possible if you learn how to use WC. Teach your cat how to use wc and say goodbye to buying sand to assemble the sanitary tray or granules that have just been scattered around your home.
You can use the guidelines we will provide you in this entry or resort to training kits marketed in pet stores supervised by veterinarians and ethologists.
How to transform your obsession with burying bowel movements
The primary resistance you have to overcome to promote behavior change in your feline is to provide another camouflage for your bowel movements’ odor. This is why they are buried in the sanitary tray.
Precisely, the toilet’s water comes to respond to this scrupulous taste for the hygiene of cats. To promote this transition in cat thinking, there are different methods. You’ll find several books about it.
Paul Kunkel’s “How to toilet train your cat” promises results in just 21 days. In this case, another manual, titled “Toilet train your cat, plain and simple” by Clifford Brooks, equates this learning with removing diapers in babies.
It is a complex process, around three weeks long, in which patience, positive reinforcement, someone-of accidents, and no reprimands must be combined. Any false step can disrupt the achievements achieved.
Teach your cat how to use WC thanks to kits
Several training kits simplify the process and have been supervised by veterinarians and experts in feline behavior. Whether you’re deciding on one of these kits or not to implement the following guidelines:
- You have to get your cat acquainted with the routine of doing their needs in the bathroom. To do this, you will restore your tray in this room of the house.
- After several days and depending on its response, you will have to continue advancing a step more gradually, resembling its tray’s height with that of the toilet. Use boxes, books, or whatever you have on hand to raise your sandbox without diminishing its stability, as any fall could disrupt the process.
- The next level of demand leads us to place ourselves on the toilet. Use cardboard with some sand and a small hole in the middle as a new location to meet your needs. You can help yourself with a Palanga to collect the waste.
- After several days proceeding in this way, you will have to enlarge the hole, lighten the sand, and start to do without the longline. You’ll be very close to reaching your goal.
- There is hardly any cardboard or sand in the fifth and final step, and the cat performs its needs in the toilet with total naturalness.
The substantial difference from using a training kit is that the process will be more straightforward because you won’t need to make your own portable WC sandbox.
You only have to unmould the hoops as the days pass, and your pet adapts to the new situation to face new challenges until reaching the last stage.
Tips for teaching your cat to be one more in WC
If you are convinced that you want to put it into practice because you find it very hygienic and economical, you should keep in mind several tips:
- You’ll need to arm yourself with patience, as there are no standardized deadlines to get your cat to use wc naturally.
- In turn, you should be very cautious about falls or scares, as your mini couldn’t associate these facts with fear and could have a hard time getting it back.
- In line with the above, lean on the power of positive reinforcement to consolidate the achievements achieved. Never yell at him or scold him if he hasn’t adjusted to what’s expected. Once again, you could lead to the throwing of cattle.
- If you have questions or need advice because you feel like you’ve stagnant, go to your veterinarian or ask an ethologist for help.
Nobody said it was easy, but it’s worth a try. Teach your cat how to use wc and forget about the effort to remove bowel movements daily or sand every week. Have you decided what you’re going to spend that time together?